Monday, June 15, 2009

We're now on Artfire!


A few weeks ago, I noticed via Google Analytics that traffic to my store had suddenly dropped precipitously. I thought maybe I wasn't promoting enough, or maybe no one wants my products. Or maybe there was so much new competition on Etsy that my store was simply getting lost in the fog. It happens.

Then I found this thread and lo and behold--it appears that Etsy has inexplicably messed with seller SEO. Thanks to their latest "enhancement", search engines can't find Etsy stores. Not even if you search for those stores' items by name. And not even if you search for the very stores by name!

Needless to say, this explains why traffic ground to a halt. And it's made a lot of people very unhappy, and a few of those people have recommended Artfire.com as an alternative place to showcase our wares. So as of today, we have an Artfire store.

I have no idea if this will be more effective than Etsy, but since listings are free, I don't see the harm in giving it a shot. No matter what, I won't be listing any new items on Etsy until they get this straightened out. Why would I pay them to advertise their site? No thanks.

I hope Etsy realizes what a terrible decision this was and hastens to make things right. Their projected "one or two weeks" timeframe is not exactly encouraging. What a pity.

Oh well. In the meantime, check out our new Artfire store!

No comments:

Post a Comment