Wednesday, July 1, 2009

In the works: Decoupage glass vase, three more decoupage wooden mirrors


I've been working on this cylindrical glass vase for a while now. Originally, I cut pretty blue and gold flowers out of some handmade wrapping paper I had stashed and decoupaged them in alternating patterns on the inside of the glass. Then I tried to cover the whole background with hand-mixed maroon acrylic paint, reasoning that it would be kind of translucent and smudgy.

It looked awful.

Fortunately, acrylic doesn't bond to glass very well, so I was able to peel it off without damaging the flowers. After cleaning it well, I decided to use pieces of crepe paper to give it a sort of papier mache background instead of a flat matte color. It's working really well so far and I like the way it looks; it almost appears that the glass itself has swirls of color in it. As soon as the glue is totally dry, I'll give it a coat of acrylic glaze for extra protection, let it cure, and get some photos.

I'm also working on some more decoupage mirrors and hope to have those finished by the end of the weekend. Stay tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment